Today, January 24th of 2022, Nutanix has released version 2.4 of its DBaaS platform Era.
First of all, a big shout-out to Magnus Anderson for allowing me to reuse most of his blog for this one. In this blog we’ll do a quick feature overview of the Nutanix Era release version 2.4.
There are a whole bunch of new features in this new version. Here is a list of the most noticeable ones:
- Remote Snapshot Restore for Oracle, SQL Server, and PostgreSQL
This means you can run your Database in e.g. Nutanix Cluster 1 and save, via Nutanix Time Machine, snapshots and log files to both Nutanix Cluster 1 and Nutanix Cluster 2 where you might use Nutanix Cluster 2 for e.g. long term retention. If needed the remote files from Nutanix cluster 2 can be used to restore the DB in Nutanix Cluster 1.
- Sharing Time Machine among Era defined users
Makes it possible for multiple users to consume the data generated via one DB Server.
- Patching of Brownfield Oracle DBs
Brownfield DB Server VMs are not provisioned using Era (Greenfield) but registered in Era.
- Rollback of Oracle patches
Era now gives users the option to rollback an applied Oracle patch on DB server VMs patched through Era using a software profile. This feature is supported via CLI and API. The support includes both Greenfield (DBs provisioned by Era) and Brownfield (see description above) DB use cases.
- Other new features
- Enhance Database Extend Storage Functionality to Support Greenfield Database on Storage Spaces (Windows / SQLServer)
- Restore SQL Server Database (Standalone and AG) present on Storage Spaces.
- Running a User Defined Rollback Script for Oracle DBs.
- Use same Software Home Install Location from Source Template for Oracle.
In addition to all new features there have been improvements to existing functionality as well e.g.:
- Postgres HA Provisioning Enhancements where you can now select different compute profiles for the PostgreSQL DB Server VMs and HA Proxy VMs meaning you can save compute (CPU and RAM) capacity.
- MS SQL Server patching enhancements for AG where you can now define the AG failover behaviour
- MS SQL Server DB provisioning enhancements including customization of data disks, data files, log disk, type of disks and tempdb.
- Run multiple Microsoft SQL DB registration operation in parallell.
- Oracle Pluggable Database (PDB) – Support for Open, Close and Drop.
Era 2.4 Download or download via Era UI
Our friendly neighborhood blog of our Swedish co-worker: https://magander.se/